Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Garden Knowledge

One of my dreams is to be as knowledgeable about gardening as someone like Melinda Meyer of the Milwaukee area.  I don't profess to be so although I think, for the most part, I have a good general knowledge of gardening and plants...and maybe even more than just a general knowledge.

I have been gardening at some level since 1977.  Earlier if you want to count the times I assisted my parents out in the vegetable garden when I was in fourth grade.  Most of my gardening experience is from the southwest edges of Houston, Texas.  Hot. Humid. Buggy.  Clay soil.  Droughty. I learned to garden a lot with native plants and heat and drought tolerant plants.  Most of these, at that time, I believed would never make it in the more northerly regions of the states.  I always wondered how garden magazines/seed catalogs could advertise something like a coneflower in the northern region states such as Wisconsin.  Since then, I have discovered that they were accurate.  Go figure.  It is true, during our winters, the snow acts like a warm blanket, putting the plants to sleep in a 'heated bed' to rest and relax in order to return with the ultimate vigor in the spring.

I have only been able to enjoy a small garden area so far during my life here in the Midwest.  I plan on changing that next year as I refuse to let my life be on hold much longer.  I so miss the hours of digging in the dirt, planting new things, even pulling weeds and deadheading can bring comfort to my heart and soul.

I have had success with some of my favorites such as salvias, coneflowers and penstemons.  It has taken me a couple years to find just the right spot for a Rose of Sharon and the butterfly gaura. At the same time, I've been able to succeed with those that I struggled with in Houston such as the lavenders and clematis.  Lilac bushes have replaced the Crepe myrtles, although shorter lived on the life of blooms.

I miss the lady bugs and the anole lizards that helped keep the bad bugs at bay but enjoy the major decline in population of those bad bugs.  I still enjoy the sound of the cicadas but weep a sound of disgust at the vivacious green metallic japanese beetles that continue to strip my roses of blooms and foliage.

My vegetable garden is a huge success one year and a scrappy looking thing the next.  I still get to enjoy those home grown tomatoes and this year I've enjoyed them for a longer period as the summer has been longer, but not as brutal as those down south.  The change up between warm and cooler days, I believe, have actually lengthened the growing season.  Now if I can just figure out how to grow those tomatoes during the winter months.

There is time.  I will learn.  Experiment. If a plant doesn't work in this spot, I'll try another. Change the soil.  Collect the rain water.  Compost kitchen and yard scraps.

Victory Garden.... I challenge you.

I hope you enjoy what I will share with you on my gardening knowledge and tips.  Please know, these are things that work for me.  Every garden is different, as is every gardener.  I believe the passion one has for a plant is what makes it succeed or not succeed.  If one thing fails, try another.  The difference in the water, the soil, the sunlight and shade all affect the way your garden grows.

If you have questions.  Ask away.  I will try to answer them for you.  I'll tell you what has worked or not worked for me.  Growing plants is just like raising children.  It takes time, practice and patience.  Trial and error.  I have to warn you...sometimes it takes just as much money...depending on the level of your passion. (smiling)

No comments:

Post a Comment